Saturday, January 31, 2009

Xenophobia

I'm sitting at my computer and this word pops up in my mind. Prior to this, I was surfing IMDb.com, looking at hot pictures of hot actresses in the updates, which mentioned they were brand new pictures from G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Alongside that, I was chatting to two sets of friends; one, a school friend, two, college friends. All three of them are doing some sort of management school/MS entry exam class (GRE and CAT). So are many others. My plan to meet an old friend tomorrow got cancelled because he has classes in the afternoon. And I'm here, slacking like a character from an Apatow movie! F***!!

Anyway, so this word pops up. Pretty cool word, I think. My keyboard's "r" is giving me a lot of trouble. I typed in 'Petty' twice in the line above before realising the 'r' is missing. The consequences of playing too many games, although I don't remember using the 'r' in too many games... Hmmm...

So this word pops up in my head. Pretty cool word, I think (got ya this time "r", you...!) I've got Chrome. My browser... is Chrome... You got that? Yeah, right, that. So, I've got Chrome and I press F6, type in xenophobia and Enter. Educated folk out there must be shaking their head (this guy is writing a blog and he doesn't know what xenophobia is?), but anyway, I searched it. First entry is the wiki entry. Clicked it, hmmm, ok, fear of people. Right, isn't that like misanthropy? (Yeah! I know that word!) No wait, that's hatred for people. This is FEAR of people. Right...

F***! I'm suffering from xenophobia! No, honest! Like I mentioned in my first post (first as in, after the makeover), I HATE MEETING NEW PEOPLE!! See xenophobia is actually fear of strangers. Ah, crap it, I'll put in the first paragraph from Wikipedia:

Xenophobia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xenophobia is an intense dislike and/or fear of people from other countries. It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe a fear or dislike of foreigners or of people significantly different from oneself.

General

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), the word xenophobia consists of two parts: xeno, a combining form meaning "guest, stranger, person that looks different from you, foreigner", and phobia, "fear, horror, or aversion esp if... morbid...".

Ok! So I have an intense fear of strangers! Really! I'm always scared to meet new people. I'm very shy, and very rarely mix well with people. In parties where I don't know anybody, I'm sitting in the corner, with my soft drink in my hand, just looking at all those social butterflies socializing. I do not have the guts to go up and talk to someone new. I always wait for the other person to make the first move. Agar koi nahi aaya, kisi ne baat nahi ki, toh aur bhi acha! No tension. Damn!

This is serious! I'm suffering from a cool word...


Rant Over.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative, the way you've wrapped up the actual idea. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete